Diesel Mechanic Technician
Water District 17 (WCID 17) is a retail non-profit public utility that has been providing quality water and wastewater service to customers in the Lake Travis area for over 55 years.
We are now hiring a Diesel Mechanic Technician.
Under limited supervision, you will perform semi-skilled, skilled, and administrative work in maintaining automotive vehicles, construction equipment, heavy trucks, standby generators, and miscellaneous mechanical equipment.
• High school diploma, GED, or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
• Must have minimum of 3 years of experience in maintenance and repairs in each of the following: automotive, construction equipment, heavy trucks, and emergency stand-by generators.
• Valid State Driver's with CDL endorsement, or ability to obtain one.
Must have a working knowledge of:
• Automotive, construction equipment, heavy trucks, and generators.
• Gas and diesel engines, transmissions, and hydraulics.
• Hazards and safety precautions common to municipal maintenance and repair activities.
• Practices, methods, materials, and tools used in modern equipment maintenance.
• Operation of listed tools and equipment.
• Basic first aid procedures.
• Basic electrical troubleshooting with both AC and DC systems.
• Plan, carry out, and evaluate preventive maintenance schedules and perform corrective maintenance for all automotive vehicles, construction equipment, heavy trucks, generators and mechanical equipment, either personally, or through outside vendors.
• Operate a variety of diagnostic instruments and a variety of hand, electric, and air-driven tools.
• Inspect, adjust, and replace necessary units and related parts in the performance of repair and maintenance work.
• Repair brake, engine, electrical, fuel, hydraulic, transmission, ignition, air, exhaust, axle assemblies and related systems.
• Change and repair tires and tubes.
• Evaluates status of mechanical equipment and vehicles, and performs or schedules needed repairs.
• Conduct various analyses and inspections of vehicles and mechanical systems to determine the most cost-effective means of maintenance, repair, or replacement.
• Provide emergency field assistance to disabled equipment as needed and appropriate.
• Maintain records, prepare reports, and other specialized maintenance records of equipment and mechanical equipment.
• Maintain effective preventive maintenance programs, policies, and procedures.
• Carry out assigned projects to their completion.
• Apply safety standards to prevent accidents.
• Understand and carry out oral and written instructions, and prepare written reports of activities performed.
• Establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers.
• Deal effectively with the public in stressful situations.
• Tolerate outside working conditions, including exposure to adverse weather conditions.
• Read and understand electrical and mechanical equipment O&M manuals, including schematics, drawings, blueprints, and technical data instructions.
• Locate and adjust/repair defects in electrical and mechanical systems and equipment.
• Use and care for tools and equipment.
• Work overtime and on-call as required.
• Work in confined spaces such as manholes, wet wells, and valve boxes.
• Wear and use a Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA).
Salary for position is dependent on qualifications–excellent company benefits include: Paid Personal Time, Paid Holidays, Paid Sick Time, Paid Vacation, Long and Short Term Disability insurance, company vehicle and uniforms as well as Employer Match Retirement Account. Also available at group rates: Health, Dental, Vision/Hearing Care and AFLAC plans.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.