Water Department Supervisor
Sorry, this job has expired.
Water District 17 (WCID 17) is a retail non-profit public utility that has been providing quality water and wastewater service to customers in the Lake Travis area for over 55 years.
We are now hiring a TCEQ “A” Licensed Surface Water Operator to fill the position of Water Department Supervisor.
As the Water Department Supervisor you will report to the Operations Manager and plan, organize, review and direct the testing, reporting, and operations of potable water systems, SCADA, and water quality assurance.
You will be a key member of the District's leadership team and direct and oversee the activities of the Water Department.
A typical day as Water Department Supervisor:
• Participate in long- and short-term strategic planning.
• Collect, monitor, and analyze data on operational efficiency and use data to make decisions on operations.
• Ensure compliance with applicable laws, ordinances, and regulations as well as District standards related to quality, cost-efficiency, and safety.
• Ensure that Water Department staff are properly trained, and work with the Operations Manager on issues such as disciplinary action, terminations, and promotions.
• High school graduation, or its equivalent, plus at least ten (10) years of experience in water treatment operations; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, or abilities.
• Experience as a project manager.
• Class A Surface Water Certification from the TCEQ.
• Texas driver's license.
• Must be on call and respond to emergency situations.
• Knowledge of methods, practices, and equipment used in water treatment facilities; plumbing; minor electrical repair; basic chemistry; pumps and motors; water chemical analyzing equipment; city, state and federal water treatment specifications and regulations; and laboratory testing and procedures.
• Operate and maintain the water treatment facilities as required by state, and federal guidelines.
• Supervise periodic tests on water treatment facility pumps, motors, and water, and take appropriate reading of gauges and meters.
• Record plant telemetry information from satellite pumping stations, and maintain records of water treatment facility operations.
• Perform routine inspections of water treatment facilities, monitor pumps, tanks, chemicals, and filters, visually and with computer system, and adjust equipment and chemicals to maintain specified operating conditions.
• Supervise various chemical analyses, including pH, alkalinity, chlorine, turbidity, fluorides, and hardness tests, and ensure proper calibration of measuring equipment.
• Monitor various daily, weekly, and monthly chemical usage and water statistics, and record data on logs and charges.
• Ensure cleanliness of water facilities.
• Perform corrective and preventive maintenance on water treatment equipment.
• Prepare reports to state and federal regulatory agencies as required.
• Assign duties to water plant operators and utility technicians in his/her department. Is responsible for ensuring department personnel have the proper formal training.
• Procure equipment, supplies, and services as required.
• Evaluate and discipline personnel in your department.
• Is responsible for the cleanliness and proper maintenance of all vehicles assigned to your department.
• Provide direction to Water Treatment Operators, trainees and utility technicians.
• Strong leadership skills.
• Ability to provide ongoing development of subordinates to support succession initiatives and department staffing and training.
• Ability to learn and comply with state and federal regulations applicable to water treatment facilities.
• Ability to perform required mathematical calculations.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers.
• Ability to demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication.
• Ability to tolerate outside working conditions, including exposure to adverse weather conditions; and maintain all appropriate necessary certifications.
All applicants will be reviewed and those applicants whose qualifications best match the requirements of the position will be contacted to participate in the selection process, which will include pre-employment assessments and one or more panel interviews.
Offers of employment are contingent upon successful completion of a pre-placement physical examination (which includes drug screening), clearance by a pre-placement background check, and verifying his/her right to be legally employed in the United States.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.